THE WINE GALLERY
MARRICKVILLE, NSW, 2204
- We are a Sydney based, early stage wine startup with the mission to take the intimidation and confusion out of learning, exploring and most importantly drinking delicious bottles of wine. We are building a wine brand that is simultaneously remarkable yet inclusive. It's our mission to provide our winesquad with access to a world of wine that was previously closed off. And we wrap all this in an amazing customer experience.
- We think the grumpy old wine snob market is well catered for and want nothing to do with it. We are creating a place where our winesquad can start a two-way dialogue on any level, focussing on aspects of wine they like. We aspire to be their secret wine adviser, someone they can reach out to ask about something they're not quite sure about or just chat about wine.
- We're growing quickly, and we're looking to make our first full-time hire (outside the founding team). And we need your help managing: the operations, the warehouse, customer happiness and special projects. Yep... that's quite diverse. But we're looking for someone that is capable of wearing a lot of different hats and learning a lot of different skills.
- So let's get down to business...
This is ideal for you if you:
- Are a people person with a high amount of empathy
- Are self-motivated with a rock solid work ethic, a curious mind and love a challenge.
- Don't mind getting your hands a little dirty. Don't worry, not too dirty, mainly wine and ink dirty.
- Are proactive, comfortable with low supervision and can think up creative solutions for problems.
- Have a bachelor's degree or potentially a trade... or something else that demonstrates you can commit to something and see it through.
- Are extremely organised and have great attention to detail.
- Are a constant learner, who's always levelling up your skillset.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and like growing things from the ground up and with delayed gratification.
It'd be awesome (but not essential) if you:
- Love wine and love learning about it.
- Have built something from scratch (e.g. a business, a blog, a club etc.)
- Are a social media guru. Our Instagram game is strong (for a wine company) but always needs attention.
- Like photography (bonus points if you have a DSLR)
- Have an active interest in operations and productivity
Why work for us?
- This is your chance to join something at the start. Forget management consulting, IB and law... those careers aren't going to be around in 10 years. Okay, maybe lawyers will still be with us, but this role is going to give you access to a whole suite of useful skills that will never go out-of-date. Things like creativity, self-management, people management, productivity, problem-solving, etc.
- You can take on as much responsibility as you want. If you're doing a great job and have ideas or interests in other areas of the business, there really isn't a limit to what you can work on.
- The founders have all come out of corporate jobs which they didn't love... so we're building a company we want to work at (and hopefully you will to). So culture, excellent communication, productivity and employee fulfilment are all the name-of-the-game... oh and profit, almost forgot that ;)
- We like to think of ourselves as a learning machine. We judge decisions by the process and not the outcome. We work hard, but we work smart, and there's no place for facetime. We constantly seek constructive feedback. If this sounds like your kind of place, then keep going...
What can you expect?
- To be in charge of the day-to-day operations of the business. Managing the warehouse, liaising with suppliers, solving customer problems. That kind of thing. But you can also expect to be given the freedom to improve processes and make our business run more smoothly
- You don't necessarily need to have a huge amount of experience in this area. We are going to teach you along the way and work things out together. You do however need to be a self-motivated learner thought. We have a couple of good books for you to read that will help get you going.
- But that's the day-to-day stuff. You're also going to play a big role in growing and improving the business. That means special projects: Discovering new printing solutions, organising our monthly gifts, getting our swag produced, hiring seasonal packing staff, corporate sales, working on customer wow initiatives. There'll be a long list to work through.
- What's your day going to look like? ...You're probably going to pack a little wine, make-the-day for a few of our customers, liaise with some of our suppliers, progress one or two of your special projects and have a smidge of fun along the way.
- This role suits someone willing to delay the big dollars for the chance to learn a shit load and build a bunch of skills to add to their toolbelt. Employee share options a possibility for the right candidate on top of a startup salary base.
- To apply please put together a cover letter that includes the following info:
..If the above sounds like something that's right up your alley, then please submit a copy of your profile by clicking the apply button below, covering the points below:
- Two areas you think you can help in, two things you like about the business / website, one thing you think can be improved and finally one or two of your favourite non-fiction books, blogs, podcasts that you think we should read and why.
- And if that doesn’t sound like you, no probs, perhaps you would like a wine subscription... take our palate quiz to get started :)
What you can expect from us
- To get back to you within one week.